Motor Vehicle Accident Expenses

Disclaimer: This information and documents provided are general guidelines to navigate the no-fault process. This does not replace legal advice which is specific to each individual case. Once our office is retained we can provide specific instructions as to the insurance carrier’s specifications.

Following a motor vehicle accident, you must complete an application for no-fault insurance benefits. Pursuant to New York State No-Fault Law, Regulation 68, your no-fault application must be submitted for processing within 30 days of the happening of the accident or you may be denied coverage. You should submit your application by Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested so that you have proof that the insurance company received it in a timely manner. Also, be sure to retain a copy of your completed application for your records.

After your application has been submitted within the appropriate time frame, there are further requirements which need to be met in order to have certain benefits paid by the no-fault carrier:

      1. Supply your health care providers and pharmacy with your no-fault insurance information, which should include the insurance company name, address and phone number; their claim number and date of loss. With this information, the health care providers will be able to submit their bills directly to the no-fault carrier for payment.
      2. If you receive any bills for treatment related to this accident, forward them immediately to the no-fault insurance carrier for payment. These bills must make their way to the carrier within 45 days of the date of service.
      3. You are entitled to be reimbursed for certain out-of-pocket expenses such as mileage, parking, tolls, medications, household assistance, and other special damages, however, you only have 90 days from the date of the expense in which to submit to the carrier for reimbursement. Some of these benefits are covered for one year from date of accident.Attached is a form for your use in keeping track of your travel to and from your health care providers for up to one (1) year following the date of the accident. Please fill out your name, claim number and date of incident on the form and mail the completed form to the no-fault carrier for reimbursement within 90 days from date of expense. If you need more forms, please contact our office and we will forward some to you.If you incur any out-of-pocket expense for prescription medication due to this incident, copies of the prescription receipts to the no-fault carrier for reimbursement at the time they are incurred.

        If you submit a request for household assistance, you must obtain a written prescription from your treating physician setting forth the need for said assistance in order to be reimbursed by the no-fault carrier.

        The no-fault carrier will only reimburse you for out-of-pocket and/or travel expenses going back 90 days from the date the expense is incurred. Please forward any receipts or mileage statements to the no-fault carrier in a timely manner. Please note, that it may take about 6 to 8 weeks for the reimbursement check to be mailed to you.

      4. Generally, if you lost any wages due to your inability to work as a result of the injuries you sustained in an automobile accident depending upon your policy, no-fault may reimburse you 80% of your wages up to $2,000.00 a month for up to three years from date of accident. The no-fault carrier requires a disability slip from your treating physician stating that you are unable to perform your duties at your job for a specific length of time due to the injuries you sustained in the incident. If you continue to be off of work, a new disability slip should be submitted by your doctor to the no-fault carrier each month in order to continue payment of your lost wage benefits. Disability and/or Workers Compensation may be involved depending upon the facts of your case. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us.

Download Milage Forms

Download No-Fault Application